Sunday 15 August 2010

A reflection on my childhood

I went to a boarding school for six form. I was a psycho tearaway that
most schools wouldn't have taken in but this school was very good at
accepting those who were different. My dad went to boarding school when
he was young and he thought it would make me a man, and in a way it did
just not the man he wanted.

I was one of two people who were from the UK and there were 10 other
people from all over the world in my year in my boarding house. Without
exception every single one of them was overtly homophobic. Many had
strong religious beliefs too. At the time I was an atheist (who took the
time to learn about different religions) and against homophobia (though
not homosexual).

One of my friends there had seen a person beheaded for being gay. It
happens in Saudi Arabia and may also happen in Kuwait. A few of them
came up with a solution for the gay problem. Put them all on an
island...and bomb it.

I argued with them all on both fronts: religion and sexuality. I wonder
if they thought I was gay because I defended the right for people to choose?

And yet it never bothered me that I didn't agree with their opinion even
though I was vehemently opposed to it. I treated people as they treated
me and took them on that level rather than choosing my friends on their
beliefs. I risked unpopularity and ridicule for taking the unfavourable
position.

I've met many criminals. I've met 3 people who have told me they
murdered people - 2 snipers and one standard soldier. I was never
bothered by their deeds. There's probably something wrong with me for
being like that. Someone may consider I shouldn't be friendly to people
who have murdered and it's immoral to treat criminals as friends. There
was one guy I treated as a friend who'd be rumoured to have been a hired
hitman.

I wonder if it's why how I am how I am today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"