Tuesday 17 August 2010

Mental health and buildings

There's a Mencap campaign at the moment to get changing rooms for
babies as something mandatory in all public buildings.

I was wondering if there was something that could be done for those with
mental illnesses and for everyone.

I'm sure there'll be simple things already in there like ensuring
sunlight is available for everyone. It's an important thing for
everyone's mental health. Plants and greenery are also good for mental
health, and often not seen around enough. CCTV is the bane of the
paranoid. There's little that can be done about them apart from perhaps
hiding the devices. A "time out" or rest room which is made as calming
as possible may be useful in every workplace and large building.

I'd call for proper daylight lighting instead of those horrible
fluorescent lights. They're a little bit more expensive and would be the
same price as fluorescent lights if it became a mandated thing. It would
help a lot of people during winter I would guess. It may have the
benefit of improving productivity in winter too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"