Tuesday 31 August 2010

People's interpretations

I've stopped having a mobile phone a couple of months ago. It's
strange so people want to know why.

Some may think it's because i can't afford a phone but my old phone was
£30 on ebay and I was happy with it.
Some people may think it's because I'm paranoid and don't want to be
tracked. My phone didn't have a GPS unit though it's true my position
could be triangulated if my phone was on. However my location can be
tracked in other ways. I use an Oyster card. I live in London and it's
cloud of CCTV coverage. My IP address can be tracked. My first proper
job was working a remote imagery business so am aware of the resolution
of aerial and satellite photography and from my knowledge of computing
I;m also aware that all these sources could be combined with face
recognition algorithms and distributed computing.
Some people may think it reduces the unshared perceptions paranoia and
it does though this wasn't why I stopped having a mobile phone.
Some people may think that I barely used a phone - just to contact my
dealer - so decided I didn;t need one and there;s a small element of
truth there but it's not the reason.
Some people may think it's just to get attention. I can get that without
not having a phone.

Here's the problem. I don't know the reason. I can justify it but it
would be a lie. It happened again with my photography. I've stopped
doing that too. I think people need a reason to accept it happened.
Everyone has their own guess but I don't.

For some reason I think this is similar to death in a way. People need a
reason for why things happen. But it just happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"