Sunday 15 August 2010

The correct words for feminist and misogynist

This is a discussion I had a while ago. It's pretty irrelevant to most men.

Put simple, it's ok to be a feminist but not a misogynist.

They are not antonyms in meaning but are in practice as can be seen from this article on language where the author/ess chooses to use the terms misogynist and feminist as though they are opposite and equal terms.

The Latin root of the words and the undertones mean that the male term is pejorative and negative while the female term is positive and affirmative.

A misogynist should be called a andropist I think (or an anthropist but I thnk anthro- would mean human rather than man), or a feminist should be called a misandropist. Or something like that. Literature professors
could probably come up with the correct, equal terms to be used to describe lovers or haters of a particular gender.

Truth be told: I dislike both terms and concepts. It's sexism whichever way you look at it. People are just people. Their biology is of little relevance in my interactions with people. Who they are is important and their gender doesn't really matter in my personal opinion. The history of ills of men are not the burden of today's generation.

Our only burden in that respect is not to repeat it and not to let women do the same to us as their gender becomes dominant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"