Tuesday 3 August 2010

Eureka? A solution to the problem of language in mental health

There is an ultimate division that will never be healed if any language is used to differentiate different human beings as long as mental health exists.

There are the mentally ill and there are the normal but a movement has pushed for the term mentally ill to become euphimised to mental health problem, difficulty, experience and other less bad terms. This will continue till there is no more mental health stigma.

What if the movement tried an alternative, just for a bit of fun. Why not rename normal? In an earlier blog post I changed the word to "automoton" referring to a mindless machine with properties akin to a robot rather than a human.

This levels the playing field. When presented with a choice between "mentally ill" and "mindless automoton" many wouldn't know which to choose because they have equally (and meaningless in my eyes) negative connotations.

It's sort of turning the problem on it's head and applying a little lateral thinking...sadly the latter is rarely seen in automotons but with help and therapy and medication (delta-9-THC or C2H5OH may be effective) many automotons can be assisted to become normal....I mean mentally ill.

There is a pleasant feeling of smugness associated with this thought. I think the meal I just ate helped and a little smoke with the dust from an old skunk baggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"