Monday 30 August 2010

A thought on children's mental healthcare

The obvious thing to campaign for is more non-pharmcological
treatments if the position is medicating children is the riskiest thing
to do in mental healthcare - the long term effects of overdiagnosis and
temporary disorders (decisions by society on what is acceptable and
unacceptable and to be considered a psychiatric disorder at the time)
can be of high detriment.

Immediately someone may assume that more psychotherapies and therapists
for children are needed. That's true. But the biopsychosocial model of
mental illness has 3 parts. The last part is ignored. Sociology and
children's mental health may not even be an area of research however it
may be what's needed to change the outcomes of childhood mental illness.

For example let's assume that a child is withdrawn. They spent lots of
time on their computer or with books. They don't play like other
children. They're not part of the clique at school. Other factors may be
added to that imaginary case and a doctor could diagnose depression. The
options in the future may be seeing a children's therapist.

I just wonder what the alternatives in the future might be? I can't
think of anything reasonable.

This thought process is partially based on reflecting upon the story of
the foster children in Florida and how antidepressants can change their
lives. Some of them may have been through such childhood trauma that no
therapist could get into their locked-in state. Drugs could be
unavoidable. But opther options could there be to stop the trauma
happening in the first place. This is why I'm considering these other
interventions but I wouldn't even begin to know where to start, except
of course I can reflect on my personal experiences of childhood distress.

Perhaps many others could do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"