Wednesday 18 August 2010

The Dunning–Kruger effect and something strange about reading psychology stuff

I came across this effect and had to look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

This is the first paragraph from the Wiki page.

"
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which an unskilled person makes poor decisions and reaches erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence: because competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others.
"

It's the effect of reading it though. I'm reflecting on where I've been incompetent but thought I was competent. It's made me self-aware and it's made me want to change. I just wonder if finding out about this effect has the same effect on other people?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"