Tuesday 24 August 2010

Pain, resilience and me

Pain is pain.

The difference between physical, emotional and soul pain (and all the
other terms for the different types of pain) is noteworthy. People have
studied them and given mental pain as words as Eskimos have for snow.

Some people consider it a failing to be resilient to mental pain whereas
it's perceived that people shouldn't need to be resilient to physical pain.

My attitude of developing resilience through functioning while in pain
may have been caused by my upbringing. This attitude extended to all
types of pain.

oI played rugby. I remember one game where someone stamped on my foot
and the pain was unbearable. I played on. It was only my team mates who
saw the tears I couldn't hide who got me off the field. It's the
attitude that kept me going while I went through intense psychosis and
managed to keep working - just about - at my job at a mental health
charity. It's how I've learned to function through the pain.

People may think my attitude to mental pain is stigmatic of mental
distress - and I admit that I may seem self=stigmatic to the uninitiated
- however many people also go to the gym or run marathons. They willing
inflict pain upon themselves to get the endorphin rush, the feeling of
achievement and the physical/aesthetic value.

I don't run though. I don't go to the gym. I make my choices about the
pain I put myself through. I self-medicate so I don't endure the full
mental pain.

I admire the people who can go through the physical and mental pain, and
life, without any drugs for any pain whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"