Tuesday 28 June 2011

1 in 4 humans every year are human

This is a piss take of the common statistic used to humanise mental illness. It has been changed to mental distress either for accuracy or to as part of an outside the model of psychiatry (specifically medical doctors) way of explaining a different continuum of the concept of mental illness.

The point of the piss take is to align concepts with what we really need to do to start understanding mental health.

We are all human. 1 in 6 at any one time is human. 1 in 4 in a year are human. Over half the population of America will be human at some point their lifetime.

5 in 6, 3 in 4 or the other roughly 50%. They're human too. There is currently no system which is properly exploring them.

Perhaps this is what all population mental health is all about.

Or perhaps this is the stuff that's often found in religious stories and mythology.

The first label a person sound think about when labelling another is probably "like me." Human is a proxy term because fuck knows how else in practice we can make a society which is truly equal.

Yes...I'm still talking about what would utopia be like. 8 years ago during my first psychiatric hospitalisation this was one of the mad questions I was thinking about.

This idea is probably wrong because people seem to spend their lives categorising people and putting them in boxes. The labels allow things to be done to them.

What if the founding principle is as close to the absolute truth as I can work out. The first diagnosis or label is human being. Homo sapiens to the academics and doctors but human to the rest of us.

There is no way to teach current labelling or diagnostic systems when the label is human but the meaning of the title of this note is to remind people that we are all human.

The rest is just food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"