Wednesday 15 June 2011

Automoton, the pejoratisation of normal and the concept of psychiatric normal

Automoton is a neologism. It started as an alternative word for normal. When the language is that of mental illness the are a lot of perjorative concepts embound in the words. Mad for example. It is a word like nigger.

Mad doesn't have many negative associations for me. In fact I've constructed a positive value and internal association. This isn't how the word is known except in rare circumstances.

This has been the answer to a long battle with self stigma. And also with the politically correct ideology.

In mental health many a conversation rotates around language. Especially in the uk. Shit. It gets on my fucking goat.

So I thought I would try the same thing. I play with language for good reasons. I perjoratise normal. I make it mean something less human and more like a robot. Flawlessness as normal I twist to take an inhuman quality.

It's almost normal disorder I guess...but that's another thought prompting idea on what is mental illness which I will save for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"