Monday 20 June 2011

Can jobs cause mental illess?

The answer in a psychosocial sense is yes. We spend a large part of our adult lives working and a large part of our childhood being prepared for work environments and professions.

The answer is often yes for the distress continum too. Sadly work causes stress and misery and other stuff.

But that's not what I'm thinking about. I'm thinking about the bit I know the least about in the biopsychosocial model. The bio- bit.

There's one study I happened upon ages ago. It was a study of taxi drivers brains. It was the sort of study which the media would report but I read the study. People who had been taxi drivers for 20 years had different brains to 'normal' people (taxi drivers are normal after alll....). The authors did brain scans and found differences. They were small differences and the study didn't prove casuality. It did show brain differences but the authors called them differences, not deficits.

So its really in the last sense, the strict biomedical definition of mental illness but without the clinical or disability prognosis established.

Here's my thing about human types and the biomedical fallacy but...fuck....that's a really hard concept which I'm totally winging at explaining. To be honest I'm not sure I quite get it myself.

Anyway, that's not the point of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"