Tuesday 14 June 2011

The movement towards open source ideas

Open source, if you don't mean it, is another last bastion of freedom. Freedom of ideas, and work.

Open source is a computer software term. People give time, work and expertise for something they often gain no reward for. Those that do get a salary in big companies. A small recompense for significant discoveries in computer science and electronic engineering.

Many are idealists and many make a contribution to the open source movement. It exists for many reasons but one of those is that ideas are free. And so is knowledge.

These are ideals. Knowledge is free and ideas are owned by all because this is human progress. Humanity will progress faster without the inhibitors allowed by modern constructs.

One is the ownership of ideas. They're not. They're open source. Free. To be edited. To be criticised and corrected.

They're open source because that's how great ideas are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"