Monday 13 June 2011

Awareness of consciousness and psychosis

Here's one I wrote earlier.

I very rarely if at all see this idea mentioned in consensus literature about psychosis. There is the biomedical stuff, the psychosocial stuff and the spiritual stuff but none of the material seems to touch upon this.

After a period of intense psychosis the experience remitted. The suffering dulled and the distorted or unshared perceptions reduced. Apart from the scars on my forearm which record the fight against the other entity in my consciousness and its control the only other remnant was a markedly different experience of consciousness.

In the paper published in the British Journal of Psychiatry Prof Marius Romme called this state ego dystonic. This was the experience of consciousness many coping voice hearers (the common language. I still percieve it as thoughts in my stream of consciousness which are not my own, not auditory hallucinations) experience.

It is this strange change which seems little considered or noted in mainstream material. What I mean is a shift in my experience of consciousness and reality which is subtle. It is a shift in awareness rather than a shift in experience by which I mean the experience is little different from normal reality except in the awareness.

The elasy to convey example is the voice in our heads, the inner conversation, the committee in peoples heads or any other description.

What if this awareness is significant? What if this is a painful awareness in modern times? What if this is called schizophrenia but isn't an illness? Oh the disability applies but purely on society's cause. What if this step in the evolution of consciousness was hard, just like the apes who walked on two legs instead of 4. Freaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"