Sunday 26 June 2011

Do posh boys and girls become doctors so part of the problem is the fact the profession is fucked at the seed

There's is no one primary requirement for becoming a medical student. There is a massive barrier though.

Its called being poor or different. Poor people often can't afford the education. What I mean is my schooling before the age of 18 at least £50k. Perhaps more.

I went to a posh public school in the uk. A few. Lots of problems. I'm a bad person at heart. I'm always running away from the bad person I was.

Anyway, so did my sister and my close cousins. Their education costs were similar. I was the eldeest and a boy so favoured in the family and gifted with three generations living in the same household. My maternal grandparents lived with my family. At one point my close cousins lived the next road over.

I squandered my education but the rest didn't. They're doctors now. All three of them. They may not be typical but I've learned a lot of their profession and what it takes to be a truly good doctor.

So do a survey of how posh doctors parents are. They usually come from upper middle class or above. At a guess. The requirements of the medical profession as a minimum are top exam grades. This is true of a lot of professions. People whose parents can afford to send them to posh schools have a massive advantage. The poor are significantly disadvantaged in the path to becoming a doctor.

I'm going to tip my hat to Maudsley when I say psychiatrists should be the best doctors. I think he had a white mans idea of what a good doctor is. Sorry. I should say Western post-modern ideology. Of what a good doctor is and was.

I have a different idea. They shouldn't be a bunch of posh wankers. There should be some good ones. Ones from the ghetto of wherever and whatever. Black ones. White ones too. Brown ones and other skin colours.

Because if you're trying to understand mental health then you have to understand people. Most people are poor. Doctors often don't know poverty. The immigrants like my parents might. You should see the bullet holes in the house where I was raised as a baby.

But we need to make sure poor people can be doctors. Otherwise the profession won't understand people.

The uk has an ideal. Free and world class healthcare for all. The nation is a melting pot of diversity. It is why the nation no longer leads the world in anything but art and music and other creative stuff.

The problem is the path or the journey of life and the problems of the system. The poor, the disadvantaged, the disabled....those born without a silver spoon in their mouth....they should have equal opportunities as posh cunts like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"