Thursday 16 June 2011

What is the relationships between the amount of money in the world and the percentage of people who are mentally ill

This sounds like the sort of absurd research question some wouldn't bother to answer.

There is a lot of money in the world owned by a few people. I wonder if any of them are mentally ill.

I assume bankers are the wealthy and they're rarely mentally ill or disabled in other ways. I mean investment bankers. They and actuaries make some of the highest salaries. Many are not disabled.

But most of the world's money isn't owned by salaried people. It's old money, governments and heads of blue chip companies. There are artists and musicians too but usually they make their money on their entrepreneurial spirit.

Initially someone might assume that the mentally ill represent little buying power or market worth because many of them suffer poverty. Someone might assume that a person with mental illness might be very successful but that person would be rare.

Here's the thing. Mental illness can be anyone. The definition of course is important. Who are the mentally ill? But I reckon the mentally ill are common place and there are those who excel because of and inspite of societys shit.

For example I wonder if those investors who bet against the trend or bubble are also more often mentally ill. I wonder if the people who come up with the bright ideas occassionally get rewarded, and those that don't are more often the mentally ill. I wonder if its true that psychopaths make great entrepreneurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"