Tuesday 28 June 2011

For the people by the people

This is an idea about ideas and credit.

Where do ideas come from? Every idea is the result of many things and influences, just like we.

When I learned programming I found out something called the open source movement. It is free software but most importantly it is the code which makes the software which is also free.

This is a fundamentally left movement in software. Giving the code away free means anyone can take the ideas, even those who get paid for their ideas.

The open source movement comes from many roots too. But those people, the people who write the operating system I use on this smartphone I blog off, are only paid by donations. Their ideas are free. Their work is free to anyone who wants it, even corporations would would make or lose millions fighting court cases about the rights to their ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"