Wednesday 15 June 2011

Why understanding the different paradigms with mental health is useful for understanding stuff

Black men are overdiagnosed with schizophrenia in the us and uk by about a factor of 3 compared to their white counterparts. Overdiagnosis of schizophrenia is true for all black people, as is the overuse of section and forced treatment in the community.

This is.a really significant thing at policy level. The psychiatric profession could easily be accused of being racist. I don't think that's strictly true. What's true is the system, in practice, often enforces local norms of behaviour. In the West Indies the problem does not exist because psychiatrists there have different norms and may use different diagnostic methods.

So much is subjective and this example is where the subjectivity shows clear. Is subjectivity racism? That's a different question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"