Thursday 30 June 2011

The spiritiobiopsychosocial model

I've been missing one important thing out.

The biopsychosocial model of how a person becomes is the paradigm used by psychiatry to suppress the existence of certain types of people.

But in Keith Tudor's great book on mental health (mental health promotion: paradigms and practice, first chapter) he introduced me to a more unifying idea.

The spirituobiopsychosocial model is probably the next one. Spirituo will be a catchall phrase for stuff which doesn't make sense. For me spirituo- is like the wireless connection on a computer. If all you could see was the screen of this phone I'm writing on and you were trying to reverse engineer a black box but didn't know about wireless internet then then you'd think of the biopsychosocial model. But one day perhaps we'll truly understand what spirituo- means and in the mean time it will remain the great unanswered scientific truth.

In the book Contact by Carl Sagan (well worth reading. The film doesn't do it justice) he writes a fictional story of first contact with an alien race. They're far in advance of the human race. But they're seeking their god. He talks about how the maths symbol pi, a transcendental number, may be a message from the maker of the universe. Because the alien intelligence didn't make the universe. The aliens pursuit of science is to try and understand the message from whoever invented the universe and they think the message is incoded in numbers like pi or e or plancks constant. If these numbers were different then our universe and reality would be totally different.

This is useful if anyone is interested in know how we become. It is perhaps the final frontier but I think every time a person thinks they've come to the final frontier then they're giving themselves a reason to stop thinking. Then again too much thinking can drive a person crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"