Monday 27 June 2011

Red heads, billionaires and mental health antistigma funding

Someone once told me there are no natural red heads married to the world's top richest people. The top 500.

I can't remember where I read it. That doesn't matter any more. This is a long thought. But I'm sober. Well...just stoned. I'm in my bed. In my dad's house. My life pretty much sucks on all my old measures. Trust me. I know a bit about the real reason behind pathologisation. I live it every day of my fucking life.

Anyway. The person I told was a red head. I don't know if she was mentally ill or not but she worked in mental health.

I could think in many other directions. What I'm thinking about is the question.

I suppose its easy enough to see the photos of the wives of billionaires in the shots in the press but I think no billionaire would allow public knowledge of their wife's madness.

This would be an interesting piece of research for a campaign point on antistigma. My ginger friend was saddened to hear that there were no red headed wives of billionaires. She worked on the uk antistigma campaign so whether she was mentally ill or not perhaps she understood the point.

But this isn't the point I'm thinking about. I'm thinking about how posing a question can change society. This is based on one study. The idea I mean. It's the one done in Fiji on TV and the effect on body related eating habits or something. Tv was introduced to a tv naive population and the results were recorded by the anthropologists.

If I remember right the research showed tv did change the eating behaviours related to body image.

What does this have to do with to do with anything? The researchers didn't understand that by asking the question and the manner of the research they may have infected the polynesian island with the illness of body image caused not by tv, perhaps, but asking the question itself.

To start the research they asked questions to kids. The richer families would be the ones who had tvs so the...ugh. just read the paper. I can't be arsed to look for it on my computer now. It was published in the british journal of psychiatry.

So does asking research questions cause mental illness?

No. That's not it. Could the research be used to get more funding for mental health from corporations?

It's sort of a curve ball there. Don't really...perhaps I need to take more time over my mad notes. I wasn't going to write today. This idea just came to me as I try to sleep on my stinking bed. At least I showered a couple of days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"