Tuesday 14 June 2011

Failure in a way...about flourishing

Or what is mental health?

I didn't get an important concept in the UK's New Horizons mental health strategy. I'm dumb too often. Dr Jo Nurse brought forward a new but old concept in mental health. She put words to something implicit but unexpressed. The realisation of potential. For her I assume conceptually the word meant to society. I would extend that thought a little further. I would not quality with the value to society bit. The refinement is not apt. The value to the individual is relelvant. Scientifically at least. Because the judgements surrounding the decision between principle of society and value, even if it is just in 2011, or the value of the diversity of the individual. Well that ain't science.

The schools of thought would use science to argue their case. And this was something I was part of. Jo nurse's theory was met with resistance from one organisation. They'd forgtten old conceptualisations such as the dual continua which I helped reference and be noted in new horizons. But the criticism was valid. While naming yet another thing within peoples understanding of mental health the new strategy did little for the mentally ill. They will always be subudgated and repressed. It is the vert bature of the result of the application of the paradigm of illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"